Thursday, June 21, 2012

At this time last year: June

If you're new around these parts, "at this time last year" is a looking back series that I do once a month. I started it two months ago after I found myself continuously wondering about my past. And then, after the first go-round, I decided that this had to be a regular Gypsy in Jasper feature, because there are just so many photos and adventures that I never did share.

Like my trip to the Okanagan to introduce Ian to my big sista and my brother-in-law. It was an awesome trip. We did a little hiking, went to my favourite restaurants and saw some of my favourite people.

Aren't the Veerman sisters just the cutest? ;)

And then there was Ian's birthday when I surprised him with a lawn full of pink flamingos and balloons. (I did blog about this one, but it's too epic not to mention it again.)


June was also the first time I experienced the midnight sun in Yellowknife. I remember walking home from Boston Pizza one night and I could very well have been wearing my sunglasses without looking weird. That was the first time it really sunk in, and all I could do was hum the tune to Corey Hart's Sunglasses at Night, while texting my "Southern" friends photographic evidence that the midnight sun truly does exist.

This photo was taken late into the evening while my friends and I were having a fish fry at Yellowknife River.

And while we're on the topic of long summer days, of course, I must share with you a photo from the summer solstice, which was absolutely glorious! My friends and I spent it cliff jumping (off small cliffs) and swimming. The best part of the evening/early morning was when a floatplane took off across the lake and flew right over top of us as we were swimming. AH. MAZING!


I went to the fair! I love fairs. In fact, I feel a huge urge to make a trip to Edmonton just to go to West Edmonton Mall (which I have never visited!). The only challenge is that Ian hates that place. Womp womp. Party pooper. I might have to play the pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top card to make that dream come true. Wish me luck!


Now here comes the best/worst part of June. It was the best because it makes for an amazing story. Like, one of the absolute best. It was the worst because it was pretty scary and could have ended badly. Curious? Well, here's the deal, Ian was attacked by a great horned owl. No joke, it happened. I even wrote a column about it for the paper in Yellowknife, which you can find here. So anyway, here's the culprit.


Before I leave you, I just want to mention that at this time two years ago, I graduated with my master's degree!! Hooray for me.

So what were you doing last year? Anything fun and exciting? Did you witness any owl attacks?

6 comments:

  1. Last year in June I was preparing a lot of things for my move to south Italy.
    I started to live with my boyfriend 1200 km far from the home where I was born, my family and friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to go back and look at what things I was getting up to last year! End-of-year field trips, lots of DIYs on the blog, planning our summer vacation.

    Flamingos on the lawn! Classic!

    West Edmonton Mall is really just a mall. A giant, huge, monstrous MALL. As I like to tell my husband, if you want to feel old, fat & ugly, go to WEM. Galaxyland is good for a few laughs, with the swinging boat, and big coaster.

    We were in Alaska in June for our honeymoon 9 years ago, and one of the things that really sticks out in my mind is that midnight sun! 2am and I can still sit outside and read a book! Wowee wow wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flamingos! Everyone looks awesome with a flamingo on their head!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show some blog luv! def enjoyed this post! New follower via email :-)

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea for a monthly blog series. I find myself wondering a lot about what I was doing a year ago as well. I usually just ask my husband because it would seem that he is the human calendar of events. He never forgets anything! (I forget everything...)

    The owl attack is totally terrifying, by the way.

    This is my first visit to your blog- love it! <3

    Xo,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great feature idea! I love the pic with the flamingos, I've kinda always been in love with flamingos and a friend gave us a couple of these for our wedding. SO... I thought I was an owl lover until I saw this freaky pic of the owl in the tree. That thing looks so scary! I guess I just love cute vintage owl figurines :)

    ReplyDelete