Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade lemon ginger tea


Ian just ran out of his delicious loose leaf lemon ginger tea, so we decided to make our own. Or, I should say, he decided to make it, as is usually the case in the kitchen here at chez Ian and Nicole.

Anyway, it turns out homemade lemon ginger tea is super easy and even more scrumptious than the store bought stuff. So I thought I would share this recipe, which includes a secret ingredient, with all
of you.

You will need all of the ingredients pictured above (lemon, ginger, sugar and, the secret ingredient, freshly ground black pepper). You can use fresh lemon or lemon juice, whichever you prefer or have on hand. You can also use honey instead of sugar. According to Ian, that tastes even better than sugar. And, the other thing you need, of course, is water.

 

Once you have a full pot of water on the stove, the next step is to slice the ginger. (Ian doesn't measure anything when he cooks, so you'll just have to wing it. But I would say slice up about half a piece of ginger the size of the one pictured above.) Then toss the pieces into the pot of boiling water, squeeze in at least an entire fresh lemon or go to town with the bottled lemon juice, grind in about a tablespoon of black pepper, and add a couple of heaping tablespoons of sugar. Then leave the mixture to boil for 15 minutes.

Ian likes his tea a lot sweeter than mine, so he generally adds some extra sugar to his tea cup, while I drink it as is.

Anyway, there you have it: homemade lemon ginger tea.

It takes a little longer to make and there is some stirring to do, but honestly it's well worth the wait and the limited work.

What's your favourite tea? Have you ever tried making your own?

3 comments:

  1. We are totally trying this! My boyfriend and I are huge tea drinkers. My favorite tea is Chai tea but I love lemon tea too and all sweet tea! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm linking this awesome recipe in my 'start your week off with..' post next Monday.
    My favourite tea is French Earl Grey by T2, Traditional Afternoon & Irish Breakfast by Twinnings.

    Lauren
    http://tasteslikelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds warm and wonderful!! (If you're running late, you could always swing by the cafe and I'll make you a steamy cup of my spicy ginger tea!!)

    ReplyDelete